Expression of Interest – Air New Zealand Jet PilotFull Time New
It’s a great time to join the Air New Zealand jet fleet!
We are looking for expressions of interest from external pilots wanting to join Air New Zealand in our jet fleets.
Entry as a pilot into our jet fleet is as a second officer on B787 or B777 aircraft, or first officer on our A320/A321s.
Our pilots are valued as leaders who understand our business and are committed to delivering exceptional service to our customers. Strong problem-solving skills, a clear customer focus, and a friendly, can-do attitude are the attributes required to keep Air New Zealand operating at world-class levels.
Recruitment for our jet fleet is now subject to our Regional Pilot Priority Process (RPPP) via which jet pilot vacancies are predominantly filled by internal transfers from our turboprop fleets. We will still hire a small number of pilots from external sources from time to time, and in accordance with the external eligibility criteria described in the RPPP.
To be eligible to apply, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- 12 months command experience on a Part 121 (or equivalent weight category) turboprop aircraft; or
- 12 months first officer experience on a Part 121 or Part 125 (or equivalent weight category) jet aircraft; or
- Part 121 or Part 125 (or equivalent weight category) jet command experience; or
- 12 months command experience with the RNZAF or other air force on aircraft at least equivalent in weight category to Part 121 turboprop aircraft; and
- NZCAA* CPL or ATPL, and MEIR
- NZCAA* Class 1 Medical
- 1500 hours total time, including 100 hours multi-engine aeroplane, 100 hours ATO**, 40 hours instrument flight time, 25 hours night
- University Entrance or equivalence
- L6 English Language Proficiency or greater
- Only permanent residents of New Zealand or citizens of New Zealand or Australia will be considered. An ability to travel overseas is required, including a valid passport with visas as required*NZCAA licences are required prior to employment with Air New Zealand. Candidates undergoing overseas-issued licence conversion may be offered an interview in anticipation of obtaining the required NZCAA qualifications.
**Exceptions made for applicants with military experience.
To support the prioritisation of internal transfers, external candidates who have operated as a turboprop pilot with Air New Zealand, Mount Cook or Air Nelson within the last 8 years will not be eligible.
What’s in it for you?
Our pilots do more than fly planes; they take great pride in providing customers with safe and enjoyable journeys, wherever they travel with us on our diverse route network. Favourable work conditions include flexible-flying (part-time work) options, the ability to apply for a sabbatical, fatigue mitigation and wellness resources, insurance, and generous sick leave provisions.
Development opportunities include roles in training, recruitment, management, working groups, projects, and as brand ambassadors in community engagement. Our commitment to diversity has helped create a vibrant working environment where everyone feels welcome and we have a number of cultural, community, and professional networks as well as interest groups that you can join.